If you’re like most companies, you’re already wearing several hats and your team is probably stretched thin. There’s a slim chance someone in your company has the time to learn, develop and carry out an effective digital marketing strategy.
Sure, you could appoint someone to manage the company Facebook page and maybe write an occasional blog post. But can this person consistently handle:
- Digital marketing strategy
- Creating an editorial calendar
- Blog writing, editing and promotion
- Search engine optimization and link building
- Managing multiple social media accounts
- Creating content such as ebooks, whitepapers or guides
- Creating call-to-action graphics
- Building landing pages with lead generating forms
- Creating and optimizing pay-per-click campaigns, such as Google Adwords and Facebook ads
- Lead nurturing campaigns using marketing automation
- Website design and development
- Measuring and tracking marketing analytics
Not to mention hiring, training and managing enough staff to cover these different skillsets (plus providing benefits, office equipment, etc.).
What we’ve seen that works effectively for SMBs is to have a CMO or marketing director who is the internal driver of the overall marketing. That person thens works closely with a digital marketing agency like ours, who approaches relationships as a partnership, to support and help achieve company goals.
Larger corporate clients that have a small internal marketing department may tap us to help provide specific services to complement what the internal team provides.
Finally, in cases of a smaller company that doesn’t have the resources for a marketing director, we usually work directly with the business owner and fulfill the role of a CMO/marketing director and marketing team.